Types of Braces
Traditional metal braces are the most common type of braces and are more comfortable today than ever before.
Made of high quality stainless steel and contain brackets and archwires to align teeth.
Ceramic braces are made of clear materials and are therefore less visible on your teeth than metal braces.
Ceramic braces are used mainly on older teenagers and adult patients who have cosmetic concerns.
Types of Appliances
How to care for your retainer:
- Wear your retainers full time, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainers out when eating… and always put retainers in their case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunch rooms or restaurants.)
- Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used, but do not take the place of brushing.
- When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
- Retainer replacement is expensive… with proper care they will last for years!
- Remove retainers when swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.